- 2 Maccabees 12:43-46 "...he made atonement for the dead..."
- Job 19: 1, 23-27 "...I know that my vindicator lives...."
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-15 "...A time to be born, a time to die..."
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 "...A time to be born, a time to die..."
- Wisdom 3:1-9 "...The souls of the just are in the hand of God..."
- Wisdom 3:1-6,9 "...The souls of the just are in the hand of God..."
- Wisdom 4:7-14 "The Righteous One, though he die early, shall be at rest..."
- Sirach 2:1-11 "...in fire gold is tested....Compassionate is the Lord..."
- Isaiah 25:6a, 7-9 "...he will destroy death forever..."
- Isaiah 26:7-19 "...your dead shall live, their corpses shall rise..."
- Isaiah 35:1-10 "...Here is your God, he comes with vindication..."
- Isaiah 40:1-11 "...Here is your God, Here comes with power..."
- Lamentations 3:17-26 "...My portion is the Lord, says my soul..."
- Ezekiel 37:12-14 "O my people, I will open your graves and have you rise..."
- Daniel 12:1-3 "...the wise shall shine brightly..."
- Micah 7:7-9 "...though I sit in darkness, the Lord is my light..."
- Acts of the Apostles 10:34-43 "Everyone who believes in him will receive forgiveness of sins"
- Acts of the Apostles 10:34-36,42-43 "Everyone who believes in him will receive forgiveness of sins"
- Romans 5:1,5-11 "...We were reconciled to God through the death of his Son..."
- Romans 5:17-21 "...through one righteous act acquittal and life came to all..."
- Romans 6:3-9 "...if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall live with him..."
- Romans 6:3-4,8-9 "...if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall live with him..."
- Romans 8:1-11 "There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ..."
- Romans 8:14-23 "Those who are led by the Spirit of God are Children of God"
- Romans 8:31-35,37-39 "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
- Romans 14:7-9,10-12 "This is why Christ died and came to life"
- 1 Corinthians 2:6-10 "Eye has not seen, and ear has not heard..."
- 1 Corinthians 15:12-20 "If there is no resurrection of the dead..."
- 1 Corinthians 15:20-23 "In Adam all die, so too if Christ shall all be brought to life."
- 1 Corinthians 15:20-28 "In Adam all die, so too if Christ shall all be brought to life."
- 1 Corinthians 15:51-57 "Death where is your victory?"
- 2 Corinthians 4:14-5:1 "The one who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us..."
- 2 Corinthians 5:1,6-10 "We would rather leave the body and go home..."
- Philippians 3:7-14 "...I run toward the prize to which God calls me..."
- Philippians 3:20-21 "He will change our lowly body..."
- 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 "If we believe that Jesus died and rose..."
- 2 Timothy 2:8-13 "Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead..."
- 2 Timothy 4:1-2,6-8 "I have competed well, I have finished the race..."
- 1 John 3:1-2 "Beloved, we are God's children now..."
- 1 John 3:14-16 "We know that we have passed from death to life..."
- Revelation 14:13 "...Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord..."
- Revelation 20:11-12:1 "...The sea gave up its dead; then Death and Hades..."
- Revelation 21:1-5a,6b-7 "...I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem..."
- Matthew 5:1-12a "The Eight Beatitudes"
- Matthew 11:25-30 "come to me . . . and I will give you rest."
- Matthew 25:1-13 "Look. The bridegroom comes. Go out to meet him"
- Matthew 25:31-46 "Come, you whom my Father has blessed"
- Mark 15:33-39 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
- Mark 15:33 ---16:6 "Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last"
- Luke 7:11-17 "Young man, I say to you, arise."
- Luke 12:35-40 "Be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect,..."
- Luke 23:33-43 "Today you will be with me in paradise."
- Luke 23:44---24:6a "Father, I put my life in your hands."
- Luke 23:44-49 "Father into your hands I commend my spirit"
- Luke 24:13-35 "Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer..."
- Luke 24:13-16,28-35 "Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer..."
- John 5:24-29 "Whoever hears my word and believes has passed from..."
- John 6:37-40 "All who believe in the Son will have eternal life..."
- John 6:51-58 "All who eat this bread will live for ever...."
- John 11:17-27 "I am the resurrection and the life."
- John 11:21-27 "I am the resurrection and the life."
- John 11:32-45 "Lazarus, come out."
- John 12:23-28 "If a grain of wheat falls on the ground and dies..."
- John 12:23-26 "If a grain of wheat falls on the ground and dies..."
- John 14:1-6 "There are many rooms in my Father's house."
- John 17:24-26 "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me..."
- John 19:17-30 "Jesus bowed his head and gave up his spirits."
Welcome to our website for funeral preparation. We have tried to provide you with everything you need to plan a funeral at St. Joseph Church. During this time of sadness and mourning our Lazarus ministry will assist you with any funeral preparations you may have.
Below you will find several choices of readings from the Old Testament and New Testament. You may choose one reading from the Old Testament for the first reading and one from the New Testament for the second reading. The celebrant (priest) usually chooses the Gospel reading.
As we prepare for the funeral Mass there are some things that we will discuss with you including:
- Music selections
- Who will do the readings
- Who will bring up the gifts
- Who will place the pall (covering) on the casket (we also refer to it as the white garment that is placed on the casket.)
- Who will place the cross on the casket
- Do you have a picture that we can keep in church for all the weekend Masses
To help the celebrant prepare for the homily we request a bio on the deceased that includes information such as:
- Date & place of birth
- Date & Place of death
- Family Information:
- Mother & Father’s name.
- Brothers, Sisters
- Schools attended
- Pet peeves
- Favorite sports teams
- Funny stories/anecdotes
- And anything else that you would like to add
Where will the family sit?
The family will process in behind the casket and will be directed to sit in the front rows of the church to the left of the center aisle
How many pallbearers are needed?
You can supply between two to six pallbearers.
Where do the pallbearers sit?
The pallbearers will sit behind the family and will be directed by the funeral director where to sit. The pallbearers can sit with their families but will be directed after the mass to accompany the casket out of church
Will the priest go to the cemetery after the funeral?
The rite of committal, the conclusion of the funeral rites, is the final act of the community of faith in caring for the body of its deceased member. It may be celebrated by the priest or deacon at the grave, tomb, or crematorium.
Does a Deacon or a Priest come to the wake?
Yes, most of the time a Deacon or Priest will do a prayer service at the funeral home at the wake. In rare circumstances the funeral director will do a prayer service.
Can we have a priest who is a family friend be the celebrant (or concelebrate) the funeral mass?
Yes. The visiting priest must be approved by St. Joseph Church and the priest must have a suitability card if he is not from the Diocese of Metuchen.